EDP Sciences has developed a powerful web-based publishing platform Vision4Press for the dissemination of both scientific journal content and other scientific content in XML, HTML, PDF and ePub formats.
Continuously enriched, this highly and easily configurable platform is used by external partners who have chosen to use it as the solution to disseminate their own scientific content.
- Full-text HTML, PDF, ePub - Full XML format allows conversion to HTML, PDF and ePub formats to offer readers an optimal experience.
- Mobile version - A mobile-optimized format is available.
- Tablet formats - Most specialized e-readers & tablets (ePub, Kindle) are supported.
- Rich-media - Multimedia and 3D models can be published in the HTML version and PDFs (ePub).
- Updated references - Dynamic links from both the HTML and PDF versions of articles ensure access to the cited articles via CrossRef, PubMed, MathSciNet and NASA ADS. References are regularly scanned and updated.
- Export data from figures with Dexter - This Java applet exports data from figures from the HTML version. It helps users generate data points from published figures containing images, plots, graphs, and histograms.
Worldwide Dissemination and Linking
- Databases indexation - Data is sent to major worldwide general and specific databases: CDS, ADS, Clarivate Analytics (formerly Thomson-ISI Web of Science), Scopus (including Engineering village and Compendex), EBSCOhost, ProQuest, INSPEC, CrossRef, MathSciNet, Zentralblatt, PubMed, etc.
- Discoverability – In addition to the databases mentioned above, EDP Sciences works closely with all discovery services suppliers, ensuring that the best scholarly content can be discovered easily by researchers who need it. Data is sent to all existing suppliers: EBSCO Discovery Service, OCLC, Summon, Ex Libris, CNKI, Wanfang, Kudos, MyScienceWork, etc.
- Citing articles - Citing articles are listed using CrossRef Cited-by Linking program.
- Articles from the same authors - This functionality gives access to articles from the same authors within our database or through Google Scholar.
- ORCID – ORCID iDs of authors are displayed when available, ensuring their information is up-to-date.
- Alerting - eTOC alerts and RSS feeds keep readers up to date with recent publications.
- Graphical abstracts - Graphical abstracts give a concise and visual summary of the article.
- Simple search with autocompletion
- Advanced search on authors, title, abstract, keywords, full-text, years
- Faceted search for year, authors, publication
- Exportable results to BibTex, RIS, EndNote formats
- ”Related articles” article recommendations.
- Bookmarking, social networks and bibliographical tools - Links to the most popular tools are available at the article level (BibSonomy, CiteUlike, LinkedIn, Twitter and Mendeley).
- Most downloaded articles - The most downloaded articles within the last 7, 30 and 90 days are listed.
- Author names using non-Roman alphabets - Author names in their native alphabets are supported in addition to their English names.
- Usage metrics are available at the article level
- Citation metrics give the number of citations via CrossRef
- Altmetrics are available via the Altmetric score for several journals.
Subscriptions and Access Control
- Access control - Access is controlled by IPs. Individual users are managed by their login and password.
- Third-party authentication - A third-party authentication can be set on request. Quotations are available on request.
- Pay-per-view - Articles are available to non-subscribers using the pay-per-view functionality.
- Counter 5 – EDP Sciences provides institutional subscribers with Counter 5 compliant statistics.
- Open Access option - Open Access option gives the authors the opportunity to make their article freely accessible for all.
- Open Access embargo - The Open Access embargo allows readers to access the article freely after a defined period.
Content Preservation and Interoperability
- Long-term preservation - For most journals EDP Sciences preserves their data through trusted third-party organisations such as Portico and PubMed Central.
- OAI-PMH repository - OAI-PMH standard allows third-party aggregators to harvest metadata.
- DOIs - EDP Sciences is a member of the DOI foundation and DOIs (digital object identifiers) are assigned to all articles.
- CrossRef - EDP Sciences is a member of CrossRef and is participating in the Cited-by Linking program, CrossCheck, Funding Data.
- ORCID - EDP Sciences is a member of ORCID.
- DTD XML - EDP Sciences produces a highly structured and detailed XML document for each published article, using the standardized JATS «Article Publishing » format (ANSI/NISO Z39.96-2012).
- Interoperability - EDP Sciences follows industry standards and best practices allowing interoperability - DOI, CrossRef, ORCID, Funding Data, CrossCheck, OpenURL, OAI-PMH, COUNTER, SUSHI, KBART and Transfer Code of Practice.